Portal Militärgeschichte was established by the Arbeitskreis Militärgeschichte e.V., one of the largest thematic associations of German-speaking historians. The portal’s goal is to inform the public as extensively as possible about all areas of military history as well as to connect researchers interested in military history. We cordially invite you to submit contributions for publication or to comment in our discussion forum.
Please submit contributions for publication – along with corresponding images – in the common formats (Word, Rich Text Format; for images .jpg or .gif). Please submit them either to the editorial staff responsible for the relevant section (see below), or to the editorial office’s general email address
We only accept first publications.
- Notices regarding events can be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org,
- Links can be sent to email@example.com.
Rights of Use
With the submission of a text for publication, the author transfers all rights – without limitations to territorial and factual scope – to duplicate, transmit and disperse the text with all known and thus far unknown methods to the Portal Militärgeschichte for the duration of the legal copy-right law. All rights are allowed to be transferred in part or in whole to a third party or may be carried out by a third party. The right to permanently archive the texts by a third party is included.
The author is obligated to obtain rights to use images or should use images in the public domain. A caption and information including copy-right information must be supplied for all images.
- The authors must obtain permission to print or use all submitted sound, video and image material from the copy-right holder. In principle, fees are not paid. All images should be submitted along with informative captions, which include a mention of the copy-right holder in brackets.
- To increase the readability of your online-text, utilize short sentences and insert paragraphs. Please insert a blank line to separate two paragraphs.
- Please do not use hyphenation in your word processing programme and refrain from using formatting tools such as justified text, hanging introductions and tab stops. Please format your text to be left-justified with a line spacing of 1.5; font size Times New Roman 12 pt.
- If possible, please include your place of work and email address.
- The text must commence with an introductory paragraph of two to three lines, which functions as an abstract. Together with the title, it should awaken the readers’ interest and motivate them to click on the article.
Formal Guidelines (keywords listed alphabetically)
- Abbreviations: Please refrain from using abbreviations (such as: e.g., i.e., etc.); Abbreviations of institutions: include full name when referring to it the first time: The United Nations (UN)…
- Bibliography: When citing a work the first time: full title, after that abbreviated title: Ziemann, Germany, p. 82.
Monographs: Detlev Peukert, Die Weimarer Republik. Krisenjahre der klassischen Moderne, Frankfurt a.M. 1987.
Edited Volumes: Jost Dülffer/Gerd Krumeich (eds.), Der verlorene Frieden. Politik und Kriegskultur nach 1918, Essen 2002.
Journal articles: Benjamin Ziemann, Germany after the First World War – A Violent Society? Results and Implications of Recent Research on Weimar Germany. In: Journal of Modern European History 1 (2003), pp. 80-95.
Newspaper article: … In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, 22.10.2011.
- Citations: Please use double quotation marks "..." to indication a citation. Quotation marks should be placed behind the punctuation mark: "The grenade exploded.”  Omissions […] or additions [sic] should be placed in squared brackets.
- Dates: in the text body: write out the month (12 September 1909); in the notes: use digits (12.09.1909).
- Emphases: Please refrain from using emphases in the text; in direct citations please include a note: (Emphasis in original or Emphasis added by author).
- Images (see also “general guidelines” above): in colour or black-white; please submit high resolution scans (300 dpi). Images should be numbered consecutively and the text should include an indication where the image should be included (Fig. 1). Please include a numbered image index.
- Key words: To ensure a better retrievability of your article, please include up to five key words.
- Notes: The author should largely refrain from using notes except when writing an article or essay.
- Page numbers: Please include the range of page numbers (pp. 10-17). Do not use “ff”; Do not include a space between the page number and f. (p. 67f.).
- Person Names: Please include the first name when mentioning a person for the first time.
Length of text
- Article: max. length 50,000 characters including spaces and notes.
- Essay: max. length 30,000 characters including spaces and notes.
- Shorter Contributions (Reviews and Reports): between 5,000 and 7,500 characters long, including spaces. The use of footnotes should be avoided.